Sunday, December 4, 2011

Because of the Angels

And every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head--it is just as though her head were shaved ...For this reason, and because of the angels, the woman ought to have a sign of authority on her head. (I Cor 11:5,10)

Chapter 11 of 1st Corinthians has been a point of repeated pondering for me over my decades of walking with God. I find myself coming back to it often and wondering if it does or does not apply to me. Oh, I know the standard position of the church teachers today: that was situational for one church in one place at one time. This seems to satisfy most. I wish it could satisfy me. I don't know why I can't be content with that answer. It would certainly be easier for me if I could accept that and move on.

Scripture tells us that God the Father is head over God the Son (Jesus Christ) and that Christ is head of The Church which in turn is head of man and man is head of his wife. It is this hierarchy of headship, and submission, that seems to be difficult for modern men and women to accept. Men seem to get all "Lord and Master" about being the head of his home. Women get all "I'm not going to submit to anyone" about being asked to submit to the authority of her husband. I have been in that place earlier in my life where the idea of submitting to anyone was unthinkable. If I can not submit to a man whom God has placed over me -- be it a husband or a shepherd -- how can I submit to Christ Jesus? Am I willing to submit to Christ? If I can not humble myself and submit to Christ and to His order of authority, then, have I really made Him Lord.

And, what does this have to do with the angels? Why did Paul say that covering my head is for the sake of the angels? I have no clue. Does it have something to do with Christ being over the angels and also over me? I don't understand this saying. I do not know.

I don't think that this issue should be one of legalistic requirements. I admit I ponder how to apply this scripture teaching to myself and my relationship with God. It will be a decision made between me and God....which is as it should be because it is to Him that I submit.

Today's Reading: Matt 28; Gen 28; 1 Cor 12; 1 Pet 1; Job 28; Ps 28; Prv 28; Jdg 4; Isa 28; Acts 28
Saturday's Reading: Matt 27; Gen 27; 1 Cor 11; James 5; Job 27; Ps 27; Prv 27; Jdg 3; Isa 27; Acts 27
Friday's Reading: Matt 26; Gen 26; 1 Cor 10; James 4; Job 26; Ps 26; Prv 26; Jdg 2; Isa 26; Acts 26

No comments:

Post a Comment